Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hi Y'all!

Welcome to my blog! So this is my first post, ever and I'm really excited to share with my readers more about me and what I find interesting. Let's talk about the title first.  John Hughes is a legend in the movie business. I'm sure we are all familiar with his timeless classics such as Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, and The Breakfast Club just to name a few.  I was asked in my Art House Cinema class on the first day, what film has changed your life the most? I would definitely have to say Pretty in Pink. The story line is a classic girl meets boy, girl and boy fall in love, girl and boy break up, then boy and girl live happily ever after, you know the story that every girl wants.  Therefore, I thought that would be a perfect title (not to mention that the soundtrack is amazing and I can literally quote every, single line from the entire movie). I recently saw a film that referenced John Hughes and his films and I must say, this quote is genius and I think that all us girls would most definitely agree:
"Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."
- Olive Penderghast, Easy A
How great of a quote is that? Don't we all wish John Hughes directed our lives? Enough about movies and love and chivalry, lets talk about style! 


I believe that pink and green were two colors that were meant for each other and yes I'm a little on the preppy side (a little is a total understatement). I love all shades of pink and I believe that if there is one color that can truly brighten your day and make you feel like you are a great girl, then its pink (I also like yellow and Tiffany blue ;) ). We all have style icons and here's my list:
I should first mention my number one style icon and role model, my mom. This is a picture of she and I from my sweet sixteen birthday weekend a few years back.  She is my ultimate role model and the queen of style herself.  She taught me how to dress and to be confident. I have so much respect for her because she wears what she wants, how she wants and doesn't let anyone get her down. I mean she can even take an outfit from the 80s and make it work now, there isn't a direct style you could label her as. Its  the Jodi style and there aren't words to describe just how cool that is.
Grace Kelly
I should definitely include the person who was my dad's inspiration when naming me. Grace Kelly always exuded such great class and elegance and she is a true role model to me. I even wore an outfit almost exactly like this one for a pageant I was in and each contestant had to be a Hollywood icon, mine was definitely Grace Kelly. Her look was timeless and will never go out of style.
Lilly Pulitzer
I absolutely, positively love any and everything Lilly Pulitzer, always have. Any Lilly design can just brighten your day and should be a staple to your wardrobe. The pattern above is called "Checking In." I LOVE this pattern, I have the coozie, the day planner, oh yeah and its the background on my BlackBerry. The dress is the Adelson Shift dress from this Resort collection. This is my dream dress, I would love to add this to my wardrobe, but in pink of course! 
Audrey Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn is a style icon. She introduced us to the little black dress, pearls and of course the big sunglasses, all of which are staples in my wardrobe (you can never have too many little black dresses, I have quite a few and Saks 5th Ave has an entire floor dedicated to them). 
Jackie Kennedy
Sometimes I think I would have fit in perfectly with the 1960s. Jackie Kennedy reinvented the pill box hat, reminds us that pearls are an essential for our daily wardrobe and even introduced us to Jack Rogers sandals. Jackie has been one of my style icons since the 6th grade when I was given a book about the life and style of Jackie Kennedy as a gift. Classy and elegant, two things us girls should always remember to work into our wardrobe.

Whew, that was a lot for a first post! Check back with me soon and see what fashion items I could not live without! 

No comments:

Post a Comment